Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Planning Pt. 1

The first thing I wanted to do was set up some themed weeks and find a few activities, books and field trips that linked with that theme.  From The List I took some like items and came up with these themes:  Dairy Week, Beach Week, Science/Bug Week, 4th of July/Grandparents Week, Fruit Week, Fire Station Week, Zoo Week and Camping/Nature Week.  I am trying to stay as flexible as possible during these theme weeks, because I know things will come up where I can't do all the activities planned because of other plans or the weather.

Planning everything out...

I'll share a brief break down of each of the weeks.  When it actually gets to that week, it'll be a little more detailed. I will also post links to where I got my ideas at that time.  These are books we have in our personal library, if we happen to make a trip to the library during the week, we'll pick up other books for the theme as well.

Dairy Week
Books: John Deere ABC Farm, Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?, Farmer Mickey and Big Red Barn
Activities: Make butter, make ice cream, make homemade pizza, visit a dairy farm

Fire Station Week
Books: Felix the Fire Engine and Fire Bears The Rescue Team
Activities: Tour Fire Station, 2 Liter Bottle Sprinkler, Wash the Car

Fruit Week
Books: The Tiny Seed
Activities: Make lemonade, make apple sauce, picnic at new park, eat watermelon, u-pick farm

Science/Bug Week
Books: Inch by Inch, The Grouchy Ladybug, The Crunching Munching Caterpillar and The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Activities: Science Day, Catch Bugs, Coke and Mentos, Make paper airplanes, visit airport viewing area

Zoo Week
Books: 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo, An Extraordinary Egg, Cuddle for Little Duck, Our Birthday at the Zoo, A Day at the Zoo and The Greedy Python
Activities:  Go to the zoo, feed ducks/geese

Beach Week
Books: Swimmy, Welcome Summer, Oh Say Can You Say Dinosaur
Activities: Build a Sandcastle, Go to the Beach, Swim, Dig for "Fossils", Picnic at the beach

4th of July/Grand Parents Week
Books: Welcome Summer
Activities: Watch a parade, watch fireworks, catch fireflies, craft for grandparents, visit grandparents

Camping/Nature Week
Books: Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and Chester Books
Activities: Sleep in a tent, make smores, visit nature center, hike, cook out, pine cone bird feeder, eat dinner outside.

2 comments:

  1. I just have to say, You are AMAZING! What a creative, organised, visionary person you are :) You are an inspiration and your children are so blessed to have a mum like you. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

    Cate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is such a sweet comment. I just want to make the most of my time as a stay at home mom while my children still WANT to do things with me. Unfortunatly we didn't finish the list this summer, but we really tried. I still have the list posted on my cork board and we finish them as we get time. Stay tuned because I hope to do a list of 50 for the winter.

      Delete